Are Electric Lawn Mowers Any Good?
Electric lawn mowers are inexpensive, powerful, reliable and lightweight as compared to gas powered lawn mowers.
I’ve had 2 corded electric lawn mowers and both were very good. I would buy them again if I needed to. I currently have an American Lawn Mower Co. 50514 14″ corded electric lawn mower. I bought it for just over $100 delivered to my front door.
Benefits of an Electric Lawn Mower?
- Cost – corded electric lawn mowers are very inexpensive compared to a gas lawn mower. The price range is $90 – $200 depending on the make and model. Gas powered lawn mowers cost around $250 – $400.
- Low Noise – I enjoy peace and quiet and so a loud lawn mower would not make me happy. It’s bad enough I hear the neighbors landscapers running gas powered weed wackers early on Saturday morning. It’s annoying! Electric lawn mowers are pretty quiet.
- Light Weight – I think my lawn mower weighs about 20 lbs. I can pick it up with one hand and carry it around. It’s also very easy to push. Gas powered lawn mowers weigh around 50 lbs and are hard to pickup and carry.
- Compact Designs – electric motors are smaller than gas engines which makes them more compact and easier to store. I can store mine inside a trunk on the patio.
- No Gas or Oil – gas and oil are not human friendly chemicals and they are also flammable. I prefer to not have them around the house.
- No Exhaust Fumes – I can do without that blue oily smoke that comes out of a 2 cycle gas engine. Electric motors don’t pollute the air.
- Powerful – electric motors can produce as much power as gas engines. My electric lawn mower has a 11 amp motor and mows down grass and weeds easily. It mulches the clippings up nicely for the compost pile. I have also mulched up small shrub clippings/branches too.
- Low Maintenance – just about zero maintenance with an electric mower…just sharpen the blade and clean it off. Gas lawn mowers need the oil changed, spark plugs replaced, air filter replaced or cleaned and a gas/oil mixture for fuel. If water gets in the fuel tank, then you have to flush the fuel system. That’s not fun at all.
- Easy to Start – press the start button and go. Gas mowers require you to prime the engine with gas via a push button and then start. Sometimes it takes several tries to get the gas engine started.
American Lawn Mower Model 50514 Features
- Powerful 11-Amp electric motor provides the power to cut all types of grasses and weeds, also will mulch small bush branches and leaves
- High efficiency brush-less motor for power and run-time
- Large 14″ cutting width with 5-position easy-change cutting height adjustment from 1″ to 2.5″
- 2-in-1 side discharge and mulching system
- Hard top 16 gallon grass catcher with grass level indicator for convenience and easy disposal
- Multiple handle height positions fit all size users
- Compact and slim frame with folding handles for easy storage
- Lightweight and easy to operate
- Retail Price $109.95
Bottom Line: a good electric lawn mower will perform as well as a gas mower. You don’t need to sacrifice anything with the exception of some lack of mobility via a long extension cord. Some people think that is a pain to drag around a power cord. I personally don’t mind it. It’s no different that a vacuum cleaner in the house. You get used to holding the cord and moving it out of the way.
If you have a really large yard like 2 or 3 acres or larger, you might not want a corded electric lawn mower because you will need a really long extension cord. A gas mower makes more sense in this situation.But for small yards, electric works just fine.
Gasoline and oil are things I don’t miss in the garage. Gasoline is very toxic and carcinogenic and flammable.Who wants this in the household?
Your ears and lungs will thank you for going electric.
Check out the Best Inexpensive Lawn Mower.