Are Electric Lawn Mowers Any Good?
The short answer is YES.
I’ve had 2 corded electric lawn mowers and both were very good. I would buy them again if I needed to. I currently have an American Lawn Mower Co. 50514 14″ corded electric lawn mower. I bought it for just over $100 delivered to my front door.
Why Buy an Electric Lawn Mower?
- Cost – corded electric lawn mowers are very inexpensive compared to a gas lawn mower. The price range is $90 – $300 depending on the make and model.
- Low Noise – I enjoy peace and quiet and so a loud lawn mower would not make me happy. It’s bad enough I hear the neighbors landscapers running gas powered weed wackers early on Saturday morning. It’s annoying! Electric lawn mowers are pretty quiet.
- Light Weight – I think my lawn mower weighs about 20 lbs. I can pick it up with one hand and carry it around. It’s also very easy to push.
- Compact Designs – electric motors are smaller than gas engines which makes them more compact and easier to store. I can store mine inside a trunk on the patio.
- No Gas or Oil – gas and oil are not human friendly chemicals and they are also flammable. I prefer to not have them around the house.
- No Exhaust Fumes – I can do without that blue oily smoke that comes out of a 2 cycle gas engine.
- Powerful – electric motors can produce as much power as gas engines. My electric lawn mower has a 11 amp motor and mows down grass and weeds easily. It mulches the clippings up nicely for the compost pile.
- Low Maintenance – just about zero maintenance for on an electric mower…just sharpen the blade and clean it off. Gas lawn mowers need the oil changed, spark plugs replaced, air filter replaced or cleaned and a gas/oil mixture for fuel. If water gets in the fuel tank, then you have to flush the fuel system. That’s not fun at all.
Bottom Line: a good electric lawn mower will perform as well as a gas mower. You don’t need to sacrifice anything. Your ears will thank you. Check out the Best Inexpensive Lawn Mower.