So what exactly can you throw in your compost bin?
There are some DO’s and Don’t’s when it comes to composting. I will tell you what items you can compost and which ones you shouldn’t.
- All vegetable and fruit waste no matter how bad it looks
- Stale bread, donuts, pizza crust, crackers, cookies, pasta and anything made from flour.
- Grains such as barley, rice, etc…cooked or uncooked
- Coffee grinds, teas bags and coffee filters
- Old spices that you no longer want or are too old to use.
- Egg shells – preferably crushed
- Corn cobs and husks
DO NOT COMPOST:
- Meat and meat waste such as bones, skin, gristle and fat
- Fish and fish waste
- Dairy products such as milk, cheese, yogurt and butter
- Grease and cooking oils
So why can’t you compost these items?
- Attracts rodents and pests
- Breaks down very slowly
- They inbalance the nutrient rich structure of other food and vegetable waste
- Meat attracts maggots
- Strong smell