What is the best inexpensive lawn mower?
It depends on whether you want a gas powered lawn mower or electric. Keep in mind that electric lawn mowers are cheaper than gas powered.
I bought a $100 electric corded Electric Lawn Mower. It’s lightweight, powerful and compact. It even has a grass catcher.
Why I Wanted an Inexpensive Lawn Mower
I recently started growing grass in my backyard again after having dirt for about 5 years. So now I have some grass and a lot of weeds. I tried to pull the weeds out but this seemed to be a never ending chore and it was not fun. I prefer the grass to the weeds.
So now I decided to regrow Bermuda Grass in the backyard to cover the dirt and choke out the weeds. The grass that is already there is growing tall along with the weeds, so I needed a lawn mower. I have been wanting to compost/mulch for a long time and now this will provide the compost material. It kills 2 birds with 1 stone.
I wanted an electric lawn mower because it’s quieter, lighter weight and generally cheaper. Plus I don’t have to deal with gasoline and oil. Gas lawn mowers generally weight about 40-50 lbs. That’s not easy to pickup and move around. Most gas powered lawn mowers cost about $250 -$400. I just didn’t want to spend that much and I didn’t need to either. And neither do you.
Gas Powered Lawn Mower Prices
- Craftsman M215 21″ Lawn Mower $355
- Lawn Boy 17732 21″ lawn mower with bag catcher $275
- Toro 21″ Lawn Mower with bag $269
- Honda 21″ lawn mower $359
There are quite a few good ones but the price can get to $250+ easily. GreenWorks, American Lawn Mower Co, Black & Decker and Sun Joe offer some really nice models at low prices. The price really goes up when you get a bigger mower in terms of width of the blade. I bought a 14″. If I wanted a 21″ mower, it would have cost quite a bit more. 14″ works great for me since I have a small backyard, 47′ x 25′.
American Lawn Mower 50514 vs GreenWorks 14 inch 9 amp Lawn Mower
- The GreenWorks mower is heaver at 36 lbs vs 20 lbs
- Both lawn mowers cost that same…around $117.
- The American Lawn Mower has more power at 11 AMPs vs 9 AMPs of the GreenWorks.
- The designs are very similar and very ergonomic
- Both have easy to adjust blade height and easy to remove grass catcher bags.
- Both mowers have 7″ plastic wheels, which roll really nice, even in tall grass or soft dirt.
- Both mowers have handles that folder up for easy storage.
- Both mowers have good rating son Amazon.com
America Law Mower Co vs Black and Decker
- 11 AMP [American Lawn Mower] vs 10 AMP electric motor
- 5 blade vs 6 blade height adjustments
- Both have folding handles for easy storage
- Black and Decker has a Comfort Grip or pistol grip
- American Lawn Mower has safety start button and bar on handle, Black and Decker does not
- Black and Decker is more expensive at $125
- Black and Decker is lighter at 7 lbs but looks more flimsy in construction
- Both mowers have a good ergonomic design
- Both mowers have good ratings on Amazon.com
American Lawn Mower vs Sun Joe MJ401E-PRO
- 11 AMP vs 13 AMP for Sun Joe
- 5 blade heights vs 3 blade heights for the Sun Joe
- 17 gal bag vs 10.6 gallon grass catcher bag
- Both have 2 year warranties
- American Lawn Mower has a better looking design
- Sun Joe mower looks very cheaply made
- Sun Joe is more expensive at $125
- Sun Joe is heavier at 30 lbs
- Sun Joe does not have an extension cord lock so the cord does not pull out while you are cutting grass.
I like the mission of American Lawn Mower Co. They are an eco-friendly company and started in 1895. They have been making pollution-free lawn mowers for a really long time. I like that!
So anyway, I bought the American Lawn Mower Co 50514 14″ electric mower. I paid $117 for it from Amazon.com. I will tell you right now…I LOVE IT.
American Lawn Mower 50514 Features
- Electric powered 11 amp motor
- 14″ cutting width
- 17 Gal Grass catcher
- Mulching type blade
- Lightweight (probably around 20 lbs)
- Cheap $117.00 delivered to my front door
- Compact design – can store it anywhere.
- 5 grass height adjustment settings from 1″ to 2.5″
- Adjustable handle height
- Easy assembly – no tools needed, about 15 minutes to complete
- Cord retention hook to keep power cord from pulling out
- Ergo cushioned handle
- 7″ easy roll composite wheels
- Cool looking design – black and silver
- Cord powered – can keep cutting until it’s done
- 2 year manufacturers warranty
- Weight 20 lbs
- Retail Price $109.99
What I like about the American Lawn Mower Co 50514
I wanted a compact, lightweight electric lawn mower. I wanted to be able to store it in a patio trunk instead of hauling it to the garage. I keep a plastic storage trunk on my back patio. And this lawn mower fits perfectly inside the trunk after I fold the handle in half.
I also wanted something lightweight so it would be easy to move around and pickup to store it. This one is…about 20 lbs. Nice and light. It’s also easy to maneuver in the yard like tight spaces and around the garden.
The 50514 is a 14 inch cut which is small but works great for me. My backyard is small at 47′ x 26′. It doesn’t taker long to cut the entire yard…about 20 minutes. A smaller cut mower is easier to maneuver around obstacles too.
Now, what about power? It does have a good amount of power. It cuts down overgrown grass and weeds nicely. I did take it slow when mowing tall grass and weeds but that’s fine for me. I’m in no hurry when cutting the grass. I also mulched up some shrub branch clippings with it. I spread the clippings out on top of the grass and mowed over them. It chopped the small branches up easily. Now I have a “wood chipper” too.[not really]
So I got this lawn mower about a week ago and used it the same weekend that I received it. I was excited to see how well it would mow down my tall weeds and turn them into mulch. The American Lawn Mower Co. 50514 did a great job of turning everything into a nice mulch.
You can see the path the lawn mower made in the grass/weeds.
The 50514 did a really good job, even on my overgrown weed infested yard. The weeds were about 2 feet high and really big in diameter. The 50514 really cut them down. The electric motor has good power. I took it slow and in narrow swaths. The mulch in the catcher was nice and finely chopped. You really can’t beat the American Lawn Mower and especially for a little over $100. I have now been using it for almost 1 year and it’s still doing great.
Cleaning the 50514 is as easy as wiping it off with a damp towel. You don’t want to get it wet as there are electrical components [motor] that could get wet and short out. I just dampen a microfiber towel and wipe it off. The grass catcher bag is the easiest part to clean. Just remote it and spray it down with a garden hose. The bag always gets super dusty. I like to keep it clean to reduce the dust in the air.
I clean the underneath with a hard bristle brush. It removes the caked on grass easily. I also clean the blade and sharpen it once a year. I bought a grinding stone for lawn mower blades. You put it in a drill and grind the blade’s cutting edge. It works pretty well and removes dings from rocks.